Our lab focuses on translational research to model schizophrenia using different approaches. We think that understanding the organization and function of thalamic and cortical interneurons is key to discover general principles that govern how information is processed by neural circuits. To understand the role of interneurons, we combine anatomical studies with cognitive and epigenetic approaches. We also develop mathematical nonlinear models to understand the interactions between interneuron and projection neurons in the schizophrenic and normal human brain.
1. Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis of post-mortem hippocampus, prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortex from chronic schizophrenia patients.
2. Epigenetic and transcriptional analyses of cortical interneurons in schizophrenia.
3. Nonlinear dynamics and network analysis for characterizing brain function in schizophrenia.
4. Chemical parcellation of the reticular thalamic nucleus.
5. Conformity across the lifespan.
We collaborate in the following projects:
1. Epigenetic mechanisms and oxytocin in the Bipolar Disorder (Project funded by idiPAZ).
2. Metacognition, depression and suicide (CCG2014/BIO-035. Project funded by The University of Alcalá).
2. Fondo de investigación Sanitaria (FIS) PI15/01477 Health Research Projects.
If you are looking for a way to fight back against schizophrenia or OCD, then please partner with us in our mission. Our work is greatly enhanced and sustained through private philanthropy.
Gifts can be made via check, wire transfer, wills and trusts. For information on philanthropic opportunities in the Lab, please contact to Canis Majoris Foundation.
- Immunohistochemistry and Histochemistry (free floating brain sections).
- Light microscopy.
- Western blotting.
- DNA extraction.
- DNA cloning.
- Epigenetic analysis.
- Cell cultures.
- Cognition and psychopathology.
Welcome to the Laboratory for Neuroscience of Mental Disorders Elena Pessino. The laboratory is part of the Elena Pessino Research Chair (Canis Majoris Foundation-UAH) and is located at the Department of Medicine and Medical Specialties of the Medical School, University of Alcalá. The laboratory is under the direction of Raúl Alelú-Paz, PhD (Assitant Director, Elena Pessino Research Chair). We are interested in how genetic and environmental factors affect cognitive functions and mental health throughout life. This includes the study of complex disorders such as schizophrenia and OCD. We use both human brain samples and cognitive assessments in clinical trials to achieve these aims. We use a wide range of techniques in our research, including immunohistochemistry and histochemistry, stereology, genetic and epigenetic techniques. Together, these methods provide a broad technical approach to understanding how genetic and environmental influences develop and change across the lifecourse.
If you are interested in our research, please feel free to contact us.
1. Department of Medicine and Medical Specialties. Medical School, University of Alcalá.
1. Dr. Raúl Alelú coordinates the III edition of the course on Assisted Animal Therapy in collaboration with the Canis Majoris Foundation, The Community of Madrid and The College of Psychologist of Madrid. You can find more information here: Course AAT.
2. Dr. Raúl Alelú coordinates the course on Clinical and Neurobiological Aspects of Schizophrenia, in collaboration with The Community of Madrid. You can find more information here: CM Course.
One should not be afraid to try new things, such as moving from one field to another or working at the boundaries of different disciplines, for it is at the borders that some of the most interesting problems reside
Los descubrimientos los hacen los hombres, no los equipamientos científicos, ni las copiosas bibliotecas
...If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this universe into parts, physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on, remember that the nature does not know it!
Laboratory for Neuroscience of Mental Disorders Elena Pessino.
Raúl Alelú-Paz, PhD. Department of Medicine and Medical Specialties. Módulo IV, Planta 2. School of Medicine. University of Alcalá. Ctra. N-II, Km. 33,600. Alcalá de Henares, 28871 (Madrid, Spain). +34918854512